0:50 | Call in to ask questions, share tips, tell jokes.
2:20 | The nature of nuture: a genetics/genomics update.
7:34 | Please subscribe, rate, and review this podcast!
8:14 | A quick video walk-through helps students navigate digital platforms.
13:13 | Featured topic: Cumulative Testing Makes Learning Last
1 | Call in
Things will get a lot more interesting if listeners start calling in with questions, comments, teaching tips, programming suggestions, updates, …or anything else on your mind!
- Call 1-833-LION-DEN (1-833-564-6336)
2 | Nature of nurture
A recent article in Science explores the idea the genomes of parents and others can affect traits—not just the genes within the individual’s genome. This concept of “genetic nurture” expands the notion of the measurable biological influences of genes.
- You Are Shaped by the Genes You Inherit. And Maybe by Those You Don’t. (Carl Zimmer’s article summarizing recent research.)
- The nature of nurture: Effects of parental genotypes (Research article from Science)
3 | Please subscribe
You can help your colleagues and others find episodes of this podcast by influencing the search algorithms that guide the process. How? By subscribing to The A&P Professor podcast in iTunes or your favorite podcast app. Even better, consider giving a rating and leaving a brief review. Unless you really hate my podcast, in which case, please click here. Fans, please click on one (or all of these):
4 | Short video walk-throughs
In this age of digital teaching and learning, we must be able to help our students navigate their digital platforms: learning management systems, adaptive learning platforms, college/department/course websites, and more. Brief narrated video walkthroughs (screencasts) are simple and quick ways to provide clear guidance to individuals and whole classes.
- Short Video Walk-Throughs Help Your Students (brief blog post clarifies the point of this segment, providing links to tools you can use and an example of how Kevin uses it in his courses).
5 | Cumulative Testing Makes Learning Last
In the featured segment, Kevin shares his case story of using cumulative testing to strengthen long-term learning in his course. Using an easy method of adding a few questions from prior tests to each test and exam, Kevin was able to better prepare his students for the comprehensive final exam. And hopefully carry the essential concepts of A&P forward into future courses and careers.
- Cumulative Testing Enhances Learning (Kevin’s blog post summarizing cumulative testing, including links to other resources).
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning (one of Kevin’s favorite books on teaching, it further explains the value of cumulative testing)
- Why Spaced Retrieval Practice is Your Most Powerful Teaching and Learning Tool (a prior episode covering a related topic)
- Testing as a Teaching Strategy: Students Learn From Tests (a prior episode covering a related topic)
The easiest way to keep up with new episodes is with the free mobile app:
Or you can listen in your favorite podcast or radio app.
Click here to be notified by blog post when new episodes become available (make sure The A&P Professor option is checked).
Record your question or share an idea and I may use it in a future podcast!
Please click the orange share button at the bottom left corner of the screen to share this page!
To read a complete transcript of this episode, click here.