TAPP Radio Episode 19
Caring for Students Helps Them Succeed
0:42 | Summer schedule reminder
1:01 | Giving lecture slides to students
7:11 | TAPP APP update
8:58 | Sleeping in on weekends
11:20 | Featured topic: Commit to caring for our A&P students
You’ve probably heard that students don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care. Hold that thought.
1 | Summer Schedule
Reminder: episodes released about twice a month during the summer.
2 | Should We Give Slides to Students?
Students often want a copy of our slide presentation before class, so that they can take notes by simply annotating our slides. Is that a good idea?
- The Benefits of Longhand Notetaking Versus Slide Annotations — The Learning Scientists
- How To Take Great Notes Quickly And Easily: A Very Easy Guide: (40+ Note Taking Tips for School, Work, Books and Lectures. Cornell Notes Explained. … More.)
3 | TAPP APP Update
The easiest way to listen to (and follow) this podcast (TAPP Radio) is with the feature-rich TAPP APP
4 | Sleep In On Weekends
Is it okay to sleep in on weekends to “catch up” with sleep lost during the week? Some new evidence from a large study.
- Kevin’s Newsletter (from The A&P Professor, and powered by
- Sleeping in on The Weekend Could Save You From an Early Death, Says Study (brief summary)
- Sleep duration and mortality – Does weekend sleep matter? (research article)
4 | Commit To Caring For Our A&P Students
Why Kevin is committing to take specific steps to show his students that he really cares about them. And how he is committing to care, no matter what.
- HAPS Instagram
- ProfessorAnatomeme (Aaron Fried’s Instgram)
- Can you find Kevin’s picture with a heart?
- What Happened When I Committed to Loving My Students Unconditionally (article by Kyle Redford)
- [POST-PRODUCTION NOTE: I refer to Kyle Redford as “he” but she is a woman. My apologies.]
- The Transformative Power of Trauma-Informed Teaching (article by Lauren Dotson)
- Resilience (from Harvard’s Center on the Developing Child)
- Caring About Students Matters (a related article by Maryellen Weimer)
- Checking Our Attitudes About A&P Students “These Days” (post from The A&P Professor blog)
The easiest way to keep up with new episodes is with the free mobile app:
Or you can listen in your favorite podcast or radio app.
Click here to be notified by blog post when new episodes become available (make sure The A&P Professor option is checked).
Record your question or share an idea and I may use it in a future podcast!
Please click the orange share button at the bottom left corner of the screen to share this page!
To read a complete transcript of this episode, click here.
Last updated: April 14, 2021 at 17:58 pm
Thanks for sharing this info Kevin. I found the info about sleep quite interesting and gives me hope!
I also wanted to let you know that it seems both links above to the articles by Kyle Redford and Lauren Dotson lead to the same document by Dotson.
Thanks for the feedback, Jeff! I think I have the broken link fixed now (thanks for alerting me).